Fresh raw garlic and ginger both taste amazing in foods and are powerhouses when it comes to antioxidants and good health.
However, both of these pack a punch and need to be finely peeled and diced – e.g. time and labor – whenever you want to use them….thus they are often skipped. However, there is a better way to not miss out: have a Garlic Party!
- Get a WHOLE LOT of garlic
- Break apart the cloves
- Cut off the ‘root’ flat end
- Chuck them into batches into a large ball jar
- Shake, shake, shake (this breaks off a large majority of the peels saving that tender skin under your fingernails!)
- Peel off any remaining peel
- Put in food processor until it is all a fine mince
- Put a scoop each into quart freezer bags – fatten the ‘dough’ out into a 1/4″ thick layer
- Remove air, seal and store in freezer
Now you can have fresh garlic anytime by just breaking off a piece and tossing into the dish!
Ginger follows a similar (though less peeling) process. I use fresh ginger in my smoothies too due to this convenience – usually a nice 2″x2″ piece because i love ginger! I also usually freeze a bag of sliced ginger as well for convenient use in teas.